LEVO Herb-Infused Olive Oil
If you were to hop on your shopping cart and take a stroll down the cooking oil aisle of your local grocery store, you, my dear bud, would find yourself coming face-to-face with, what seems like, a never-ending rainbow of green and yellow liquids in an array of bottle sizes. If you don’t know exactly what you are on the hunt for, it is easy to get overwhelmed. The sexy names ::all eyes on you Fillipo Berio::! The goody two shoes ::oh heyyy virgins and extra virgins::! The stuff that sounds like it belongs in a trail mix ::macademia, sunflower and peanut, oh my::! All the different types of cooking oils have their own characteristics, but none are as versatile as olive oil.
The sky's the limit when it comes to using olive oil in the kitchen because it is a natural, healthy fat that can serve as a substitute for butter in any recipe. Whether you want to use it as a marinade on meat, the base of a salad dressing, or used in baked goods, the recipe possibilities are endless! Perfect for deep frying, sauteing, grilling, dipping, and shallow pan frying, using olive oil can pretty much be your default oil for any type of cooking. By itself, olive oil has a neutral smell and high smoke point. Because it has a tame taste and smell, it should be your go-to oil for infusing with rosemary, garlic… and other, more highly sought-after herbs.
Now, imagine if this wonderfully versatile ingredient had a little herbal magic from Mary Wanna’s garden in it...you’d be so happy and relaxed that you would be flying higher than Cloud 9! The LEVO Oil Infuser is the rocketship that will send you soaring up, up and away. Mess-free and super simple, the LEVO Oil Infuser will transform your herb and oil into an infused green goodness edible olive oil.
The LEVO Oil Infuser is the newest machine to hit the dry herb infusion market for home-use and it looks like a sleek, cutting-edge espresso machine that belongs on the shelves of a Bed, Bath and Beyond or Williams Sonoma. Designed to fit in any kitchen aesthetic, the machine will elevate your countertop swag and comes in a variety of colors: black, avocado green, rose gold, and charcoal gray. It is the only machine that was engineered entirely for infusions without the need for emulsifiers, solvents or additives.
My personal fave feature of the LEVO Oil Infuser is that you don’t need to strain the mixture once infused - the machine does it for you, this is a huge deal, buds! Straining oil is annoying and messy AF, but thanks to this little baby, the extra straining step is as extinct as the dinosaurs. RARRRR! The LEVO Oil Infuser has no pre-set time and temperature settings, giving you the freedom to customize your recipes however you wish! An added bonus, the infusion process does not oxygenate the ingredients, extending the shelf life of your herbal-infused oil.
Gone are the days of handwashing hassle because the LEVO Oil Infuser is comprised of dishwasher safe components, allowing for an easy, mess-free cleanup.
Want to make this incredible edible from the LEVO Oil Infuser? Of course you do! Follow our simple instructions to learn how to make the perfect elevated herb-infused olive oil.
Step 1: Decarboxylation
Ah, decarboxylation, the secret step to bringing edibles to the next level. Your prob like, UHHH my dear edibles leader, WTF is this monster word? Well my munchies monger, it’s a long term for a very simple step; decarboxylation, or “decarbing,” is the process of adding heat to your herbs in order to activate the special, feel-good components. Raw dry herb will not have you feeling the mind-altering effects as much as baked herb, so you’ll definitely want to do this step to get the most out of your precious greens.
When smoking or vaping, decarboxylation happens naturally because, depending on if you are using a conduction or convection device, you are either burning or heating the herb. Even though this is a highly recommended step to get the full psychoactive effect of the dry herb, it is not required because the LEVO Oil Infuser will decarb, albeit minimally, while it infuses. Another benefit of decarboxylating your dry herb before infusion is lowering the risk of botulism bacteria growing in your oil due to moisture in the herb. How to decarb your herb:
1. Preheat your oven to 240°F.
2. While the oven is heating up, line the baking pan with foil.
3. Using a grinder, grind up all your herb and evenly spread it out on the baking pan. Although not necessary for decarbing, grinding your herb will ensure everything is baked evenly so your final result will yield the most potent prize. Need a grinder? Check out the Santa Cruz Shredder, it’s dope.
4. When the oven reaches the set temperature, place the baking pan on the middle rack.
5. Bake for 30 minutes. If you herb is the on fresher side, bake your herb for an additional 30 minutes to ensure you get all the moisture out.
6. Once the herb is done baking, set it aside and let it cool completely before putting it in the LEVO Oil Infuser.
Step 2: Olive Oil Infusion Using the LEVO Oil Infuser
1. Plug in the LEVO Oil Infuser and turn it on by touching the power symbol and swiping down on the arrow. You will know the machine is on when it chimes and the screen is illuminated with the word “LEVO”.
2. Touch the “lock” button to unlock the machine, then gently press down on the right side of the lid to open. This child lock has been added for safety.
3. Remove the herb pod from the reservoir. Take off the green lid and add your herb to the pod. Replace the lid and put the pod back into the reservoir. In addition to the herb pod being magnetic, there is a “PLACE POD HERE” sign on the machine, so putting the pod back into the right spot is simple.
4. Add 5 oz - 16 oz of olive oil to the reservoir.
5. Using the + and - thermometer icon buttons, type in 160-175°F. Using the + and - clock icon buttons, type in 2.5 hours.
6. When the time and temperature are dialed-in, press the start button (this is the button that looks like a PLAY button on a remote control, a triangle on its side in a square). The LEVO Oil Infuser will then automatically trigger the child lock on the lid. During the process, the display panel will show INFUSING [REMAINING TIME] [CURRENT TEMPERATURE].
7. Once the infusion process is complete the LEVO Oil Infuser will beep and the display panel will read “LEVO”.
8. Place your container (we recommend a mason jar) on the raised circle on the machine’s base, then press and hold the water droplet button to dispense the oil.
9. Let the oil cool for 5-10 minutes before handling...then voilà! You have your very own herb-infused olive oil.
10. To turn off, touch the power symbol and swipe down on the arrow. The machine will chime and the display will go dark.
*Note: Make sure to store the oil in a refrigerator or a cool dark place and clean the machine after each use.
Step 3: Cleaning the LEVO Oil Infuser in the Dishwasher
1. Allow the reservoir to cool completely before handling.
2. With the power still on, hold the water droplet button down and pull the reservoir straight up by placing your finger under the crevice.
3. The reservoir is top rack dishwasher safe, and the sterrer and pod will go into the utensils basket.