The traditional Swiss Roll is a Christmas staple—so simple, yet highly delectable! The succulent buttercream filling is the perfect complement to the fluffy sponge cake that melts in your mouth. 'Tis the season for enlightenment, and reaching your highest of highs you shall because we are elevating this dessert using the LEVO Oil Infuser and some magical dry herbs from the North Pole's hydroponics garden. So hold on tight to your reindeer, buds, because this chocolate buttercream Swiss Roll will have you flyin’ high with Santa after just one piece.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separate egg whites from yolk
- ⅞ cup flour
- ¼ cups LEVO butter [read our HOW TO: LEVO Butter], softened
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ⅗ cup chocolate
- ⅔ cup LEVO butter [read our HOW TO: LEVO Butter], softened
1. Line a non-stick Swiss Roll/JellyRoll baking sheet with greased parchment paper.
2. Heat the oven to 180°F.
3. For the sponge cake: beat the caster sugar with the egg yolks until the mixture is fluffy. Add the flour, LEVO butter, baking soda, and 1 tbsp of lukewarm water to the yolk mix and combine well. Beat the egg whites with salt until stiff, then gently fold the egg white mixture into the yolk mixture. Spread the dough out evenly on the prepared Swiss roll tin. Bake for about 12 minutes. Allow the sponge cake to cool for a few minutes, then roll it up with the parchment paper. Set aside.
4. For the chocolate buttercream: melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Beat the LEVO butter until creamy, then gradually mix in the powdered sugar, then the melted chocolate.
5. Unroll the cake, spread the chocolate buttercream evenly, and firmly roll back without the parchment paper.
6. Cover the entire cake with the chocolate buttercream.
7. Optional: top with chocolate shavings, dust with cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or add sprinkles or fruit.